For the right type of person, caregiving careers can be extremely gratifying. Caregivers for the elderly are in great demand because of the aging of our population and people living longer lives than ever before.
This article is designed to help you determine if a career in caregiving will be the right fit for you. It will help you answer two critical questions you should be asking yourself:
- Why would I want to be a caregiver?
- Am I a good candidate to become a professional caregiver?
Let’s look at our first question:
Why Would I Want to Be a Caregiver?
Not everyone is cut out to be a caregiver, but those that love it. At Senior1Care of Fort Wayne, we’ve had the pleasure of watching caregivers grow in their careers. What do they have in common? They’re motivated to grow personally and professionally while truly helping others.
To be successful as a caregiver, you need to have the right reasons for entering the career. Some of the right reasons for you are:
- Enjoy working with people, and most enjoy jobs where you have one-on-one interaction with others.
- Like taking care of older family members and helping others in this way.
- Ability to get along well with older adults.
- Ambitious towards making a difference in someone else’s life.
- Can get multiple tasks done in a day.
- “that’s not my job,” is never your phrase but instead like pitching in to do whatever is needed.
- Someone else’s smile brightens your world so you focus on doing little things that would make a person happy.
- Attention to detail is one of your greatest qualities
- Being physical at your job and using your body as well as your brain is something you look forwards to every day.
- Look forward to a career with growth opportunities.
- Learning new skills excites you and you work on continuing education to do your job well.
- When you’re older, you’d want someone like yourself there to help you.
Does this describe you? As you can see from this list, caregiving offers just about everything you’d want in a career, and Senior1Care hires, trains, and keeps people that want:
- A flexible schedule
- Rewarding work
- Steady hours
- Family culture
- Training and growth
- Booming industry
- Competitive pay
- Recession-proof career field
Now, onto our second question:
Am I a Good Candidate to Become a Professional Caregiver?
If you exhibit the personal qualities we’ve mentioned and you want to be with an organization that offers their caregivers all of the career benefits listed above, you’re an excellent candidate!
You may not think you have the proper background to become a professional caregiver. However, many of our caregivers came to us without caregiving experience and have flourished in their careers. Some of the reasons they came to Senior1Care were:
They wanted to change industries
People who have a strong desire to serve others and make them feel well-cared for.
They wanted a career with a purpose
As caregivers, they wanted to make a difference in people’s lives every day, and they were willing to change their lives to make it happen.
They wanted a change within the healthcare industry
Some of our caregivers were employed in the healthcare field but were no longer fulfilled and wanted to get back to the reason they entered caregiving: they have a heart for helping people, not doing paperwork.
They wanted a better work-life balance
Plenty of people have entered the caregiving career because they were overworked and over-stressed. Senior1Care allowed them to take control of their schedule and set their hours.